Monday, April 25, 2011

Happy 1st Birthday, AJ!

Yesterday, our baby boy turned one year old! I still cannot believe it, but apparently it is true. Here's the birthday boy on his big day: 




We decided to celebrate big with a party at our (empty) apartment since we'll be leaving so soon; it was a really great chance to get to see everyone one more time before our departure. So many good friends and family were there to celebrate with us; my parents and AJ's godparents even drove down from up north to spend the weekend with him.

Backing up a bit, we kicked off AJ's birthday weekend on Saturday morning with a trip to the circus. What fun that was! Here are some of the shots we got:










Back at home, Papa held AJ as he recuperated from the fun of the circus:


The next day, Sunday, was our boy's big day. Here are a few shots from his party; first, the decorations:




We made this pennant banner together, and it is one of my favorite things from his party.



This was made out of vinyl stickers that will peel right off the wall:


I painted this over an old canvas that I had laying around:


Some paper lanterns from Party City that were just the right colors:


The desserts: Cookies from Mimi, blueberry birthday cake, Funfetti cupcakes, and Coldstone Cake Batter ice cream. Yum!


With our birthday boy right before cake:



Not a single yucky face for this cake stuff...



Opening his present from Daddy:





With Mimi and Papa:


It really was such a great day, and we felt so fortunate to have so many friends and family go out of their way to celebrate with us.

Okay, on to the boy. What are you up to these days, Andrew James?

- You've become much more vocal, ohh-ing to us throughout the day. You've even begun saying uh-oh over the past day or so! (We really noticed this on Thursday, the 14th.)

- You love people, and I think that you become more of a ham every day, little boy. You're even playing shy with people now, pushing your head into my shoulder while giving a huge grin.

- You are no longer content to just sit in the shower. If you are not being held, it is not happening.

- You are also very opposed to letting your mama into the bathroom alone. You'll cry at the door, even though someone else is home with you.

- You are figuring out how to take your diaper off. You haven't gotten all the way there yet, but only because we keep catching you in time, and for the most part keep pants on you all day long. Diapers with snaps have never seemed so appealing!

- You took one step toward your uncle Fergie a couple of days before your birthday, and then four steps the day before your birthday. I'm not sure I'm ready for this, mister!

- As of your well baby visit on Monday the 11th, you weigh 22 pounds and 15.5 ounces, and are 30 inches tall. You just barely fit into 12 month clothing, and 18 month clothes seem to fit just fine. Even 24 month things don't look as big as they ought to... A little boy you are not!

Alright, mister. That's all we can think of for now, although I'm sure you'll be up to something new tomorrow! Do please try to slow down; Daddy and I cannot believe how fast you are growing up! Before we know it you will be a big boy, and, well, I'm just not sure that I'll be able to handle that!

We love you, sweet boy! Happy Birthday!


No comments:

Post a Comment